Saturday, May 18, 2013

Grandmother's Choice


Nameless Star. Uh, not really, it has a bunch of names, most commonly Sawtooth Star.


Nonsense. No, really, that is the name of this week's block.

In addition to Grandmother's Choice blocks, I have been working on quilting Pinwheel Daisies. On Friday a friend and I visited a local sewing machine dealer. She bought a machine and I didn't, although I was sorely tempted and still may go back and get one. Pfaff has a new small sewing machine, Passport. It weighs in at just under 14 lbs. and the Singer Featherweight was the inspiration. Passport has 70 built-in stitches, needle down, drop in bobbin, and Pfaff's iconic Integrated Dual Feed. As a promotion to introduce the new machine, an extension table with zippered carrying case and single hole needle plate was included. It's a very nice machine for retreats and classes, but you could sew on it every day.

6 comments:

  1. Your fabric collection is wonderful! I drool over each block you post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do have quite a bit of fabric. Although at our last guild meeting we had a virtual studio tour of three members. Apparently I am a complete beginner in the fine art of fabric hoarding.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kevin - those fabrics are great! I especially like the centre of the Sawtooth Star. That's what I always call it, but I do see a lot of people call it Evening Star, which is nicer, but less descriptive. I'm a bit on the fence about which way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The center of the star is a Paula Nadelstern fabric. I buy a bit of most of her fabrics when I run across them.

      Delete
  3. a good bit of nonsense, lightweight machines sound good, I know I could never take my Bernina to a class as it is so heavy, also I have to go by bus everywhere so it stops me from doing any machine workshops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, do you have a rolling case for your machine? It makes all the difference. If I had to carry even my Featherweight to class, it wouldn't go. The cases often have pockets and extra space in them to tuck your sewing supplies. Many times, too, here in the States, if the class is being put on by a quilting store, you can rent a machine for the day very inexpensively. They are hoping you will like it and buy one from them. I encourage you to take classes if at all possible. It is the best way to increase your proficiency.

      Delete