Monday, January 27, 2014
The baby quilt top is finished and ready for layering, basting, and quilting. I am fighting a cold right now and seem to run out of steam before getting much accomplished. There is a quilt retreat coming up this weekend and I am hope to get some UFOs into WIP status.
Over at Inbox Jaunt, I am following with interest the idea of a quilt notebook and have gone so far as purchasing a quadrille lined notebook. Now, the first task is to list all of one's UFOs and this has me stopped in my tracks. Do I really want to do this? How honest should I be? This is going to take a lot of effort not to mention time. Did I mention a retreat coming up this weekend? Maybe this is a door that should be left closed? Hmmm....gotta think about this some more.
A warm welcome to my latest follower, Tina! Happy to have you along for the ride.
Friday, January 24, 2014
Over at the hexie blog, I am following along with a year long project. Every month we will make a different block with hexies. January's block is a snowflake and here's mine. Not on its background fabric yet. I think that decision will have to wait until I see what a few more look like. I am thinking about putting them on solid backgrounds in shades of gray. So the backgrounds would all be the same color, but scrappy.
Here is my progress on the baby quilt. Three more blocks to go and then sashing and borders. Yesterday I got nothing done. I was feeling under the weather and I went to ground with tea and books and a warm blanket. Seems to have helped as today was a much better day.
Monday, January 20, 2014
I started a new project yesterday evening. It is a baby quilt from "Modern Retro" by Camille Rosskelley. The quilt is for a friend's new grandson. The yellow and green color scheme was selected to coordinate with the nursery decor. I quite like it. The setting will be four blocks by three blocks with the blocks floating in white sashing and borders.
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Celtic Solstice is almost finished. I decided to stop this evening before I got too tired to care about things such as accurate seam allowances, etc. The green piece of fabric on the left is the proposed border fabric. Bonnie's instructions call for a narrow border finishing at 1.5 inches. Since I think something a little wider is in order and because I want my quilt to be a bit larger, I am going to scale the final border up to something in the order of 5 to 6 inches. Here's a closeup of the fabric:
Friday, January 10, 2014
I actually have five rows completed but discovered an error that I have to fix. One of the patches that helps to make the secondary shape (the very lightest patch with the triangle in it) was sewn in upside down. I kept up with all the clues as they were posted, but now find myself very much behind when comparing myself to others - at least one of whom made the king-sized version - on the Facebook page. Doubtless, though, there are others who have made even less progress than I.
Sunday, January 5, 2014
It snowed here overnight and the the snow is still falling, although at a slower pace than early this morning. As you can see by the photo, there is 6.5 inches on the ground at present. The photo was taken of the snow on top of the Weber grill in the back yard.
This is one of the projects on my design wall today. It is "Christmas Lights" by Alex Anderson.
I can hear the roar of snow blowers wielded by my neighbors. We don't own one, so later today it will be snow shovels for us as we labor to clear out the driveway.