Friday, March 3, 2017

Spinning Wheels


I have finished (maybe) piecing "Spinning Wheels", an english paper pieced project by Piece o' Cake. This is the small size, 36" x 38". I say "maybe" I am finished piecing this. I don't like the left border - too light. I am using up yardage purchased for this quilt and it was the only other piece left that was long enough for the border without piecing it. Perhaps tomorrow I will swing by the quilt store and see if there is yardage remaining of one of the darker fabrics. It will be a simple matter to change it out.

I have pulled out a hand appliqué pattern that has been resting in a drawer for at least a decade. It is "A 'Maizing' Southwest" by by Arlene Walsh Designs. I bought the pattern at  Southwest Decoratives in Albuquerque, NM quite a long time ago. The copyright on the pattern is 2003, and that probably is around the time I bought it. The upper left and lower right elongated figures are the Corn Maiden,, a Zuni harvest goddess. It features a pueblo, drum, Zuni sun (as seen on New Mexico license plates), feathers, Kokopelli, and more.


I need to have a hand sewing project to keep me occupied while watching a program or two in the evenings on television. Since Spinning Wheels is finished, this will be the next project. I am using similar colors as shown in the pattern above. I ordered three packets of Cherrywood fabric - the four pack teal, mahogany, and ocher medleys. Other fabrics I have selected so far are several batiks from Batiks Plus. I intended to use a harvest corn fabric for the Corn Maiden figures, but cannot now find it anywhere, so on to plan B! 

Originally there was an embellishment kit available with beads and fetish pieces. The kit is no longer available, but there is a list of what was in the kit in the pattern; I feel confident that there will be suitable materials available at a local bead store or online.


There will be any number of bits and bobs to fill in here and there from stash. I am eager to get started, but before I allow myself down this particular rabbit hole, there are three quilts that need hanging sleeves for our upcoming quilt show. My goal is to finish at least one today. I am entering six quilts into the show and three are ready to go. Three down, three to go!

2 comments:

  1. Your Spinning Wheels is gorgeous! You have a wonderful set of sparkly fabrics there. I quite like the light border fabric -- it seems to highlight the range of values in the centre.

    Good luck getting ready for the show. You're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great quilt your spinning wheels is and your new project is looking quite a challenge. Remember to share photos of the quilt show and your quilts you are exhibiting please

    ReplyDelete